Tuesday, September 25, 2012

10 Running Questions

My friend (and the only boy who willingly chases me, albeit only in the water) Jeremy tagged me in this to answer the following questions.  So, here goes:

1. Best Run Ever

There are a few I can think of. But, the one I'll go with happened in January 2011.  Yes, I remember.  Daily Mile also helps me remember dates when I look up my logged runs.  I was planning on doing my running path, out in a prairie where I had be trying  to get my run on.  It's a 5.5 mile loop.  It took me awhile to run this entire thing without stopping.  Without walking.   I had not done it in awhile after the cold and snow kicked in.  I was trying to get this in for the first time in awhile. Start to finish.  No walking.  Run the hills.

It was a crisp cold winter day.  I texted my college roommate who lives 15 minutes away, and who also just recently started running.    I asked her if she was going out for a run.  She said she had just gotten her hair done, so no.  She was being snarky.  I gave her a hard time.  She said, "Meh, I'll just double whatever you do today tomorrow."  We giggled.

But, funny thing happened.  I felt great. I felt strong.  Fierce.  I ran my loop. The ENTIRE loop.  And, for some reason I did NOT go back to my car.  I kept going.  On another loop.  I always like a challenge.  Hee, hee. hee.  Really, Lisa, DOUBLE what I do today?  Huh.  Well, 11 miles baby!  I ran 11 miles.  Smoke on that Lisa. 

You have to understand, I had only done an 11 mile run twice before.  In my first and second half marathons.  Due to injuries I had never done an 11 mile  training run.  Ahhh, but, I had some great tunes in my ears, cool weather in my face, a challenge in front of me, and I felt strong.  I was SO proud of this run.

Lisa never ran the next day.  22 miles is scary after my awesomeness.  I understand.  

2. Three words that describe my running
Painful, Freeing, Necessary


3. My Go-to running outfit is
Seksi spandex shorts, fitted tank, headband, perfect ponytail swoosh, Brooks Glycerin 10


4. Quirky habit while running
I text and run.  Not randomness.  But, sometimes I need encouragement to get my run on.  Especially when I'm not feeling it.  I take inspiration from wherever I can.  I'm lucky to have such a great group of running friends who will say encouraging things to keep me going.  Even better yet, they say inappropriate things to make me giggle.  I think that works even better.  ;)

5. Morning, midday, evening.
Yes, please.  Oh, right, running.  Evening.  No contest.  I am NOT a morning person.  I stay up WAY too late for that.  I like running in the dark anyway.  Ninja runner.

6. I won't run outside if it's

Pouring ran while trail running down a mountain?  Nope, I'll do that. 

Run in 22 inches of fresh snow.  In shorts?  Nope, I'll do that.

Run with tornado sirens going off?  Nope, done that.  Twice. 

Hot and humid?  We have a winner ladies and gentlemen.  I have.  While training for 2011 Chicago Marathon (failed attempt).  It was what I had to work with to get my training in.  However, humidity is my kryptonite.  It brings me down.  Hard.  I have exercise induced asthma and when humidity rolls in I literally cannot breath.  I overheat.  It's horrible.

7. Worst injury and how I got over it
Really?  Where do I start?  I'm not even sure what the worst one was.  Tibia stress fracture fall of 2011 was the beginning of the downfall with my leg.  Then a calf strain in late January. (the most painful of the injuries). Now foot pain.  (still not sure what it is).  Then I always have the UBHA (sciatic pain) that just won't go away.

I'm not over it.  God, when will I ever get over it?

8. I felt most like a badass runner when
Three weeks of partying and doing physical property work (painting, cleaning, yard work)  around the St. Maarten place. Two days before I leave I sign up for a 5k with my St. Maarten friend.  When I get to registration I find out it's a 10k.  Oh dear.  I was doing little 3 mile runs here and there throughout the trip.  But, I had not run more than that in a very long time.  


It was a hot sunny Caribbean day.  I thought I was going to die.  I jockeyed back and forth with a few women throughout the race.  MUCH younger women than me.  I was DYING by the end.  I had very little left in the tank at the finish.  But, 10k I did (ooozing Heineken out of my pores).  


One of the young women I had passed came up post race to tell me it was fun pushing each other.  Then she also asked me if I had seen my legs.  What?  What's happened to my legs?!?!?  She laughed.  "No, when you run the muscles in your legs are sick" Ha. Why.... thank you very much younger and cuter woman than me.  These legs just kicked your ass.  

To top it off I got first place in my division.  Mind you, this is NOT the Chicago Marathon.  But, I don't care.  I got bling and rewarded myself with some beachside warm French croissants and ice cold beer. 

9. My next race is
God, I wish I could tell you that.  I have no idea.  I'm not running.  My body is surely nowhere ready to even think about that.  However, I would really like to get to the Turkey Trot 5k this year on Thanksgiving morning.  I ran it two years ago with my then 9 year old niece.  I was injured last year and had to watch her and the rest of my family run without me.  I really want to run it with her again. More importantly she wants to run it with me. 

After that if I can stay/be healthy I would like to possibly do the Fucking Freezing Half Marathon in January. My ideal running conditions.

Do I even look past that?

10. Potential Running Goals for 2013 
Swimming (had to throw that in) To do an open water swim race. To not die doing so.

To run a marathon.  Hell, just get to the start would be nice.

To have someone cheer for ME.

To. Not. Be. Injured. Dammit.

Run happy.




6 comments:

  1. I will cheer for you! Dude, make it to the start of the fucking freezing January half, and I WILL CHEER FOR YOU! Promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, that's so sweet, Bobbi. I hope I can give you a reason to stand out in the cold!

      Delete
  2. I'll echo what Bobbi said - when you get back into running shape and sign up for a race, let me know where it is and I'll come cheer for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam, that's so awesome! You are TOO kind. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I will ALWAYS cheer for you, my dear epic friend. And send me your number so we can randomly text for motivation...I know how important it truly is. I am also amazing at how people I hardly know in real life (you) will stand atop of a stoop during my race cheering DO EPIC shit. You truly are an amazing woman...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naw, not amazing. You all are the amazing ones. I just hold a sign and scream. Btw, it was a sewer. I was standing on an elevated sewer cover. LOL

      Delete